Some weeks, novelties and marketing gimmicks overshadow the big business stories in a news week. Thanks to Safeway and McDonald's, this was not one of those weeks. Don't believe us? Check out who may be buying the the former and what McDonald's is doing with its years-old relationship with Heinz ketchup.
These were the biggest stories of the last seven days on Food Dive:
- McDonald's dumps Heinz ketchup: McDonald's is ending its long-standing relationship with Heinz now that the condiment company is run by the former CEO of Burger King.
- The top 10 U.S. pasta brands: Who owns the marketplace in 2013?: America's preferences for dry pastas haven't changed much over a decade, but brand preferences have seen a shake-up.
- Safeway up for sale—and Cerberus could be a buyer: A group of buyout firms, including the parent of Jewel and Albertsons, is eyeing a takeover of Safeway, according to Reuters.
- New Pringles chips will taste like pie: Pringles has announced Pecan Pie and Cinnamon and Sugar as its holiday rollouts for 2013.
- Healthy or hideous: 5 ingredient controversies that refuse to die: Food scientists pick ingredients for functions and health benefits, but their choices can still rattle vocal groups of petition-wielding consumers. Just look at these ongoing debates.
Would you like to see more food news like this in your inbox on a daily basis? Subscribe to our Food Dive email newsletter!